Monday, January 10, 2011

Twitter

OK, the enthusiasm has returned a little with Twitter.  Interesting that the limit is 140 characters, I really struggle at times to keep my limit under 160 when texting and that's not using T9!  I like that you can select a backgound design.  I know I go on about the validity codes when joining these sites, but this one made me laugh too.  Twitter asks "Are you human?  Before we create your account, we need to make sure you're not a computer!"  If you use the link to "26 Twitter strategy tips and tricks for success", I discovered sadly with Tip Number 5 that Mr Tweet, Twello has been discontinued :-(.  Not sure if Twitter would be useful for library staff, not enough character space!  Fancy a Twitter? Username is StateofSunsets (of course you say!).

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you're surging ahead, I'm most impressed. In fact I'm quite green with envy as I'm really finding it heavy going. When will I feel like i belong in this alternative universe called Web 2.0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the human question was a bit odd too. I also enjoyed playing around with the background colours to make it kind of more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about for reminding people about events they might have signed up to?
    eg: school holiday activities?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, my enthusiasm has been re-ignited with twitter especially as you can write just a quick message. You could use it to remind Library users of unusual closing dates such as Australia Day or Christmas holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Twitter would be great for last minute notifications. If, for example, internet becomes unavailable, or positions open up in booked out events or programs, or if the library had to close unexpectedly.

    I'm not sure how useful it would be to remind individals of events, like school holiday activities they may have signed up for, but it could be a useful marketing tool for the initial promotion. Even more so if interested people could book a place by replying to the tweet ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You obviously explored Twitter more thoroughly - I missed the adding background bit but then I have to go back and explore everything more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited about twitter too. It is a quick and concise method of communication - with information overload I think twitter would be a great method to share brief library updates that people would actually read because it is brief..oops I think I went over my twitter word limit!

    ReplyDelete